Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hmmm. . . politics. . .

So I've had some interesting experiences lately overhearing some very heating conversations about politics, President Bush, the upcoming election etc. etc. and the two lessons that've been reiterated to me are:
1. Sometimes we must agree to disagree - to each his own, and that includes the right to have your own opinion as well as the right to express it. With that being said, I think we would all be well off to take an extra moment to consider our opinions and what is to be gained or lost by sharing them in a certain situation or to a certain audience.
2. Despite the flaws, our democratic system is still probably better than the alternative. I was privy to a very long conversation at work today regarding the supposed flaws in our current legislative system, and couldn't help but remember King Mosiah's counsel in the Book of Mormon regarding democracy and dictatorship. Again, despite the flaws, democracy is still the best bet.

No comments: