So I had an experience today that brought back a few memories about dressing up. To start off I want to say that I have a very good mother who always taught me what was and was not appropriate for church, and for the most part it's stuck. I remember one day in college when my roommates were helping me decide what to wear on an important date, and they decided I should wear a shirt and skirt that belonged to Chelsey. I protested slightly saying that I didn't have a slip that would work with the length of the skirt. Chelsey laughed, and said, "it's not see through and it lays fine, why do you need a slip, I never wear one with it?" I started to say that my mother always taught me to wear a slip, but caught myself knowing that Chelsey would think that was a silly excuse, when lo and behold my other roommate Brittney yelled out from her room and said "Because her mommy said so!" She then produced a slip that would work and informed me she always wore one too. . . "Because her mommy said so".
Well my mommy always said to wear nylons too, but I have to admit that one didn't stick at all. (I think any shot it had was eliminated when I served a mission in a tropical country and wore skirts and dresses everyday for a year and a half without nylons). Well, to get back to my story of today, I came home from church and changed into some jeans, then realized I needed something from the church a couple hours later and thus had to drive back to get it. Well, I didn't want to change all my clothes back, but wasn't about to go back in jeans, so even though I knew there were still a few wards at the church, I decided to risk it and just put on a skirt with my t-shirt and flip flops thinking that I'd run in and out before I saw anyone I knew and that way I wouldn't feel silly for walking around the church on a sunday so casually dressed. But alas, as always happens when you're trying to avoid detection, I managed to run into scores of people that I knew and came home with the resolve to take the extra minute next time to change back into acceptable sunday attire. Lesson learned, but no Mom, I probably still won't wear nylons anytime soon. . .
2 comments:
Ha ha, this one made me laugh. My Mom was the same way and the nylon thing didn't stick with me either. I hear her voice everytime I am at church and need to say the prayer or something and go to the front, I have to take my coat off no matter how cold it is because she always made us take them off if we were going to be in front of everyone. She said it just didn't look nice.
YEA FOR MOMS! I guess some things do sink in even when we don't think so. Glad you learned a few lessons along the way -- Stephanie, too.
Post a Comment