Saturday, May 1, 2010

Becky's Guide to Sushi

So being a sushi newby (my first time was about 6 months ago), it's been interesting for me to keep trying different kinds and figure out what I like.

1. I do not like california rolls
This is intriguing to me because most people say the california roll is one of the mildest forms of sushi and great for beginners, however, after trying it several different places I've decided that it's definitely not for me, and I think it's because of the crab. I'm discovering that I don't really like crab in anything. Not in sushi, and not in crab cakes. Guess my alottment of crabs are safe from an untimely death.

2. I'm not so crazy about the texture of raw fish.
I've had several different types, and even though the taste didn't turn me off, there's something about the texture of a big chunk of raw fish in the mouth that just doesn't work so much for me, although, I didn't mind the diced up poki in hawaii, probably because it was in little chunks and not a big slab of fish. Which is why I stick to the sushi rolls rather than sashimi.

3. I like spicy stuff
Spicy tuna rolls, spicy salmon rolls, poki, Spicy just makes everything better in my opinion. Be it mexican food, thai food, or bicol express it's better with a little kick.

4. Eel however, is not so good in my opinion.
Had some eel the other day in a sushi roll, not so good. Too powerful for my tastes.

5. It's all about Vegas Baby!
My favorite kind of sushi thus far is definitely the vegas roll (although there seems to be a couple of different versions of this one, so let me tell you about the one I like). Salmon and/or tuna (again no crab please) with avocado and cream cheese wrapped in seaweed, rice, and the best part, the crucnchy deep fried outside.

All in all, I don't know that I'm a die-hard sushi fan, but it is good every once in a while, especially now that I'm figuring out what to avoid, like eel, and crab.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I've only ever tried a California roll. If I never try one again, I won't be disappointed, but I wouldn't mind the chance to try more either.