Sunday, December 26, 2010

Santa stole my keys

THE ACCUSATION:  Santa stole my keys

THE STORY:  Friday, Christmas Eve, I use my keys to drive to the temple lights returning approximately 9 pm.  I don't leave the house again until Saturday evening, Christmas Day, at which time I cannot find my keys anywhere.  After looking all the obvious places I dig my spare set of car keys out from my file box and use the garage door to get in and out of our house, noting that my car was locked (which I always do using the key fob, never manually, which leads me to the conclusion that the keys must be somewhere in the house).  I return from my brief excursion that evening, thoroughly search my car (just in case) and begin the systematic search of my house.  I retrace my steps the last 24 hours looking in every drawer, cupboard, appliance, closet and room I entered, touched, or used.  .  . No keys.  So I begin a more thorough search looking on top of, underneath, inside of, behind every object, piece of furniture etc. . . Still no keys.  I finally retire and wake up, get ready, then go to church.  I return from church, decide to check all the most likely places again and search every purse, bag, pants and jacket pocket I've used in the past two days and all the places they've been or could have dropped a set of keys like the laundry baskets, the floor underneath the laundry baskets, or where I hang my jackets, the furniture, bed, bedding, etc.  All places I've already looked but wanted to make sure I checked it twice.  I even take on the very unsavory task of searching through the garbages and recycling bin.  I start to think perhaps it got put someplace odd, so I search all the drawers, cabinets, freezer, refrigerator, microwave, desk, dressers, bathroom, even check down the garbage disposal.  .  .  NOTHING!  I search the car again and the garage, and the exterior of the house, even though I didn't go out there.  I now honestly believe that I've checked every place I touched, walked on, walked by, and/or brushed up against in the 22 hours between when I had my keys and discovered they were missing.  Furthermore, I've checked every space and crevice I think they could have fallen into, been kicked, scooted, or otherwise moved to.  Still, no keys, which leads me to the inevitable conclusion:

SANTA STOLE MY KEYS!!


Addendum: 1 hour later. . . after eliciting the help of my roommate, she did eventually find the keys although how they'd managed to fall into the small pocket on my work laptop bag that had been wedged behind the couch since Thursday afternoon I'll never know.  It's not like I'm in the habit of balancing keys on the back of the couch or ever place them anywhere near there, but alas, mystery solved. . . sort of. . . I guess we'll acquit Santa of any wrongdoing, unless of course he snuck in and put my keys inside my computer bag as some sort of joke.  .  .  yup, that must be it.

No comments: