Saturday, March 12, 2011

Am I becoming an Arizonan?

     I have to start off by saying that I am one of the blessed individuals who rarely has to commute in traffic.  I officially work from home for majority of my work hours each week which generally translates into only mid day  commutes to certain meetings, so viola, I miss the traffic.  This past week unfortunately, I had to commute during rush hour three whole days.  That's more than I've done in months.  It was not fun.  My sympathies to all you out there who drive to and from work everyday in traffic.  For that matter, my sympathies to all you out there who drive anywhere every day with gas prices these days, especially when you get stuck in traffic and the precious gas is just burned up while you idle along with hundreds of other cars. 
     Even though it wasn't much of a surprise to me that I'd forgotten a bit what commuting can be like, it still never ceases to amaze me, that there are so many cars on the road at once that traffic can come to a standstill on a 6 lane freeway.  (I guess that's the Idaho blood in me).  Of course, normally it takes a large accident to really cause a standstill (as happened two days in a row this week on my way home) but still, it amazes me the amount of people in the valley.  I heard once that there are approximately as many people residing in the metro phoenix area as there are in the entire state of Idaho.  True or not, it begs the question: 

Am I more Idahoan or Arizonan? 

    On the one hand, driving in traffic that my country girl roots had never before seen once stressed me out to the point of physical symptoms but is now just another nuisance when it happens.
One point for Arizona 
     Of course, I still say things like "spinning cookies", "borrow pit", and  drink "pop".  
 One point for Idaho
Then there's the times when I miss the snow, pine for the seasons, (or even just pine trees for that matter) and wish I had a bit of the good old idaho weather, however unpredictable for just a few days.  
Another point for Idaho
But on the flip side, I love the warm arizona weather, especially this time of year.  In fact, I'm even starting to dread the oncoming summer heat like all the locals do. (gasp) A step I never thought I'd take.  I'm starting to catch myself saying things like "yep, it's getting hot" when even a few years ago, I used to smirk and laugh inside whenever I heard someone say that, thinking what babies these arizonans are for complaining about the 90 degree spring weather.  I always thought, why can't you just enjoy it while you've got it?  But now I'm falling into the trap of seeing it not as much as a beautiful spring day, but as a tell tale sign of the heat to come.  
 One unfortunate point for Arizona
I do however still carry winter gloves, a jacket, and a blanket in my car for emergencies.  Still handy I'm sure if I ever become stranded on an arizona road, but deep down I think they're still there for getting caught in a snowstorm.   
 Idaho takes back the lead
Most of my working career has been in Arizona however.  In fact, next march I'll be partially vested in the Arizona State Retirement System, meaning regardless of where else I go, I'll still get a small paycheck from ASRS once I reach retirement age.  
All tied back up now with a point to Arizona
However, in spite how good Arizona has been to me, there are still some things that are just backwards here.  Like the 202 loop and US 60 interchanges.  I hold fast to the opinion that it's just backwards for the north bound exit to come before the southbound exit when driving east on the 60.  And when you're headed north on loop 202, the 60 eastbound exit should come before the 60 westbound exit.  after all, that just makes more sense when you consider the location of the cardinal points of the compass.  (There's a whole story behind this argument involving a hometown arizona boy and Becky missing the exit she wanted.  Apparently to a city kid, the compass makes no difference, you should "just look at the signs".  However, I say signs or not, the first exit should be for the road headed right and the second exit should be for the road headed left.) 
 Idaho pulls ahead by one
Of course, the fact that I am so well versed at freeways and complex interchanges would be a point for Arizona I suppose.  But maybe only a half point since I still think some of them are backwards.  
 Half a point to Arizona
 I am however, one of those Idaho drivers who passes in the passing lane then usually returns immediately to the cruising lane.  Apparently city kids weren't taught to do the same, but I guess when you practice on multiple lane highways instead of two lane roads, the rules for highway driving are different. 
Idaho is now up by 1 and 1/2
But I am now well versed in Arizona traffic laws thanks to traffic cameras and traffic school.  Do you know what the GORE area is?  Arizonans do.  
One point taken back by Arizona
I could probably go on, I mean I still introduce myself as being from Idaho, but have been an official resident of Arizona for years now. I miss the big lawns and wide open farmland, but like being so close to everything.  I'll always think of Rigby as home, but feel very settled in my current life here.  So I guess the moral of the story is, while the competition is close, those silly backwards freeway interchanges make me glad I can still claim myself as an Idahoan.  I know you city natives might not understand, but some things just ought to make logical sense regardless of how well labeled they are.  So in conclusion, I'm proud to be from "A little town called Rigby, Idaho" (it's even on Facebook!)

1 comment:

Amy Bateman said...

You should look at it as which is more dominant -- the country habits you grew up with, or the city habits you've adopted as an adult. I think I'm becoming more citified even though it's only been 4 years since we left Idaho. That can put a whole different spin on things. :)