Monday, April 11, 2011

If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away

I was driving home today and this song came on the radio.

It brought me to tears.  Probably mostly because my grandpa just recently passed away so the opening stanza really hit me.  I haven't personally been touched much by death or loss.  I think I can still count on one hand the number of funerals I've been to and most of those have been for people who have lived good long lives.  I am incredibly grateful for my testimony of God's plan for us and the reality of eternal families, and while it is certainly a comfort to know that my Grandpa Henry, my Grandma Robertson, and other loved ones are on the other side and I can be reunited with them someday, there are still those moments when heaven seems so far away as I'm sure most of us can attest to.  However, I can't help but be reminded that happiness is found in the journey and rather than miss what's missing or wish that time or life would progress differently, there's peace and joy that comes from doing what we ought to do to be who we ought to be.  

No comments: