Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My new job

Well it's been a few weeks now and I'm starting to get the feel for my new job, although I am still figuring out what the 1 min description of what I do should be.  But for any of you who are curious, here's the scoop.  My official title is "Health Initiatives Supervisor"  which basically means that I manage people, programs and projects.  I supervise two regular employees.  I have regular meetings with them, approve timecards, make pertinent decisions, and supervise the things they are working on.  I also work with one temporary contract worker who will be around for the next 5 months or so.  While the two ladies I supervise still work on some things that contribute to objectives that fall under another supervisor, there are some objectives that I'm in charge of.  This is where the "programs and projects" comes in.  Right now we're working with a local health clinic to help them design and implement an education program for patients with hypertension, as well as putting together a tobacco free campus proposal for Maricopa County Government facilities.  Workplace Wellness is also a focus area that falls under my stewardship although our exact role in that process is yet to be determined.  The office I work for is called the "Office of Tobacco and Chronic Disease Prevention", so while other teams and people work primarily with tobacco stuff, my team will be doing more on the chronic disease side of things and likely be focusing a lot on "system based" changes as opposed to individual outreach or referral development.
One of the perks of being promoted to a management position is that I now get my very own assigned office space.  Now this may not seem like a big deal to many, but in our office, they don't give out cubicles to just anyone, most of our workforce shares docking stations where they can come and go and plug in their laptops as needed, so it's a big change to have a cubicle all of my own.  As you can see, it could still use some personalization, but it's nice all the same.  All in all, I think I'll like my new job, at least its more interesting and challenging than what I'd been doing, so it's a progression of sorts and progress is always good.

2 comments:

Quinn the Eskimo said...

Congrats on your promotion!!!

Melissa Smith said...

Congrats! I didn't know you got promoted. Way to go!