Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Irish soda bread


A few years ago, I went with a friend to an Irish pub for lunch and was introduced to Irish Soda Bread. For those of you who've never had it, it's a yeast-less bread that uses oats, wheat germ, wheat flour and buttermilk to bake up into a dense, moist loaf of yumminess.  I hadn't had it since then, but had thought about it once or twice thinking I needed to go back and have some more one of these days.  Fast forward to present.  I got a desk calendar this year put out by cooking light where every two to three days are marked on a recipe card.  Well a few days ago, this "brown soda bread" was the recipe and I made some last night.  It's super delicious and fairly healthy too.  It was really easy to make, and I'd highly recommend it if you're having a craving or just want to try something special for St. Patrick's Day .  


2 comments:

Judy said...

Did you use steel-cut oats or regular oats?

Amy Bateman said...

Sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try.