Friday, July 5, 2013

Patriotism

As we celebrated our nation’s independence day yesterday, I couldn’t help but reflect on the variety of sentiments expressed recently.  In particular I happened to read a few things on blogs or social media that seemed to imply that America is in an unredeemable place and that patriotism is simply an old-fashioned value held by the naïve.  As I thought about this concept I tried to ask myself honestly:  What makes me still believe in this country and feel the fire of patriotism still burn in me?  Was it just tradition or unrealistic beliefs about utopian ideals, or was it something more?  As I pondered the beginnings of this country and the current state of things, I came to a few conclusions. 

Yes, our country has problems.  We’ve always had problems of some sort or another.  In fact it was issues of the same variety as we have today that led to most of the major accomplishments of American history.  While many view the fact that we still have these kinds of issues as a failure of good old American ideals, I see it as the opposite.  As I see it, this country was founded on principles of freedom:  freedom to disagree, freedom to make your own destiny through hard work and industrialism, and freedom to stand up for what one values.  Now I won’t pretend to say that these things have always been employed in the best ways.  I daresay that many of our society’s current issues are rooted - at least partially - in selfish, misguided or manipulative exercising of these freedoms by at least one side or the other.  


As unfortunate as it is that the very thing that made this country great also tends to cause problems from time to time, I think there is still a reason to celebrate the fact that the opportunity to exercise these freedoms exists at all.  And this – to me – is the heart of patriotism.  I believe that this nation was founded upon inspired principles and despite its issues, continues to be a place of possibility.  And that’s something to be patriotic about. 

No comments: