Sunday, April 6, 2014

LDS General Conference

So I've greatly enjoyed listening to the LDS General Conference this weekend.  If I had to sum up my impressions from the messages in one word, I'd have to say. . .

Courage

It seemed like multiple times in each sessions messages explicitly or implicitly spoke of courage and how faith combats fear and we need to be prepared to stand up for our beliefs and be obedient to the Lord's commandments.  However, my favorite talk of the weekend by far was delivered by W. Craig Zwick as it spoke, like many others, courage, but emphasized the need to be empathetic and christlike in doing so.  I think that sometimes purposefully or accidentally, we tend to stand up for our own perspective in ways that exclude or belittle the other individual's point of view.  I've seen the pain this can cause first hand and loved his analogies of how the Savior showed perfect love and acceptance to all while still preaching His gospel and remaining firm on the commandments of God.  Definitely something we can all strive towards and certainly a thought that should be at the forefront of our minds every time we are faced with situations where our knowledge and understanding differs from others.

No comments: