Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Missionary Memories

I had a little missionary flashback today. I rode the bus to work, and just to set up the story, I have to ride two different buses. So on the first bus this afternoon, I happened to sit right behind three people who were have quite a loud discussion/argument about religious concepts. Unfortunately I never got a chance to do any missionary work since they pretty much talked over each other for the entire 15 min I was on the bus with them, but I sat there thinking how I would have handled such a situation, or answered their questions. Of course I remember many experiences pretty similar to that, and truthfully was disappointed that I didn't get any opportunity to share my testimony, but that's how life goes. Anyways, after I changed buses I pulled out my Book of Mormon and flipped open to Moroni 7 and was struck by the irony of the conversation I'd overheard and the doctrines taught there, specifically verse 48. You see one of the points that the one man kept making was that we should always ask ourselves what would Jesus do. After I'd heard their circles of argument a few times I couldn't help but think to myself, "what would Jesus do if he were on this bus?" He certainly wouldn't be standing up and loudly degrading another person's opinion and try to justify that as being charitably and Christlike, so when I then read Moroni 7:48 I was struck by the wonderful peace of being a true follower of Christ and truly trying to do as He did.

No comments: