It's interesting how often we are advised to quickly heed spiritual promptings, yet how when they come, it's so easy to fall into Satan's trap of trying to talk ourselves out of it. Take this week for example, I had a simple prompting on Monday night that a guy I know needed a friend and that I should call and invite him to do something this week(end). Now this seems like such a simple thing to do, but I have to admit that I spent two whole days going over it in my head trying to decide what to say and how to say it and what to invite him too, and coming up with a whole bunch of reasons as to why I couldn't or shouldn't do it. Things like "I don't really have any good plans yet to invite him too" or "I don't really know him that well" or "What if he takes it the wrong way." Of course these are all silly rationalizations, none of which really have any merit in the situation, but paraded themselves through my head nonetheless until finally I thought that if I didn't act on this prompting soon, I probably wouldn't be given one at all the next time someone needs my friendship, so I'd better do it soon.
I called him tonight, and although it's still not certain if we will be able to do anything this weekend or not, it's definitely gratifying to feel the peace of knowing that I did my part and maybe the phone call was/is all he needed. Only the Lord knows, but I'm grateful he gave me the opportunity to be an instrument in His hands in such a small and simple way and to remind me to pay quicker heed to the Holy Ghost.
No comments:
Post a Comment