Well, I went and got acupuncture today. I have a friend who is studying acupuncture and works in a student clinic. We were discussing Chinese medicine the other day when he suggested I come in. Of course my first response was, "But I don't have anything wrong with me." To which he of course answered, "You don't have to." The whole idea behind Chinese medicine is to keep your Qi in balance, so apparently it's good to have a "tune-up". Anyways, it was only $22.50 for the first visit, so I decided why not, if nothing else it'll be a good experience and might help with my stress levels a bit.
So I went to my appointment with a very nice man student named Jim, who did a very thorough health history asking questions about every part of the body, organ system etc. (That's the part where I was glad I hadn't scheduled an appointment with my friend Aaron, because although I'm sure he's very good, it's certainly easier to answer those questions to a stranger). Anyways, after my health history, he studied the 6 pulses in my wrists. That's right folks, apparently there are 6, 3 in each arm. Then he studied my tongue because apparently you can learn a lot from your tongue. Then the supervising acupuncturist came in and double checked everything and they came up with a treatment plan while I relaxed in the room to serene lighting and peaceful music. Then they came back and inserted the needles, some into my hands and wrists, knees and lower leg, feet, and one in my forehead. Some of them I could feel and some of them I couldn't, then I was left alone for about 20 min while the treatment worked. I didn't feel a huge difference, but then of course, I didn't feel sick or in pain to begin with, but I did feel very much relaxed and could especially feel soothing warmth around the needles he put in my feet. All in all it was a good experience, and I'm glad I got to do it. A bunch of my coworkers all want to hear about my experience on Monday and say they'll decide then if they want to go too to try it out. I would definitely recommend it for the relaxation if nothing else.
1 comment:
Glad you enjoyed your "tune up." You're definitely braver than me!
Post a Comment