Mens Swimming - 4x100m Freestyle relay. The heavily favored French team led at the last turn by about half a length, but as they came to final meters the American anchorman started to close the gap. Watching stroke for stroke, they were still behind even on the second or third to last stroke, but somehow managed to beat them to the wall for a huge gold medal upset and a new world record. And this is all after the French had said "we're gonna smash the Americans". Who's trash talking now? Go USA!!!
3 comments:
Wasn't that an exciting race! Watching the underwater replays, you could see that the American had a slightly faster stroke rate or longer reach and just gradually overtook the Frenchman on the last few strokes.
For all you athletes out there, remember how much emphasis was given by coaches on technique and the "little things"? This is a great example of those "little things" making a huge difference in the results.
That was an awesome moment. We were both on our feet mentally encouraging them. Can you imagine how Michael Phelps must have felt putting his goal of 8 gold medals in the hands of others and to see it come down to the wire like that? I bet the adrenaline was amazing. We've officially decided that if the swim trials come back to Omaha we're going to one session to experience the excitement in person.
I must admit this is the only time I have missed having TV service since we got rid of it last year. I have to find which cable to hook into the wall just to get fuzzy coverage but I think that will be worth it. I may have to dig out the VCR and record that way. That DVR feels so worth it right now. Glad you are all able to enjoy the olympics.
Post a Comment