Monday, October 20, 2008

Psychology and Life

So I want to warn you all up front that this post will probably turn out to be some random ramblings that may or may not be of interest or even make sense, so continue reading at your own risk. . .

I've been thinking about psychology lately because I've had some opportunities to discuss things with some friends and it's always interesting to me to try to analyze why we do what we do and especially how well we actually communicate with others and/or how selfish we (in general as a society) often end up being. My first experience to relate has to do with Dr. Laura. For those of you who don't know who Dr. Laura is (as I didn't until I googled her after a friend of mine kept calling me Dr. Laura everytime we ended up having conversations about life, love, or the pursuit of happiness) she is a sort of Jewish celebrity that has a call in radio show. She has very traditional family values and that is evident when you read any of her stuff. Anyways, I finally googled her the other day and was ready some posts on her blog and came across a very interesting one saying "Shame on Oprah" that made some good points about how the world's sympathies on feminism and individualism can sometimes be used as blatant excuses for plain old selfish behavior. (For the full posting google Dr. Laura and click on her blog). Anyways, it got me to thinking how often we try to justify our actions any way possible, which has been evident in some other experiences I've had recently discussing goals, responsibilities, and relationships with friends and how it's often so easy to "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk". I'm sure we all have experiences like that and I won't bore you with examples, but just want to put out there to the void that I love psychology and really enjoy analyzing things, but know that psychological analysis is certainly no substitute for actually living life and putting into action the principles we know we should live by, but are tempted to rationalize away because the world says it's easier or acceptable not to.

Again, sorry for the ramblings, but sometimes, that's what a blog is for. . .

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You appear to have had some interesting conversations lately and some very deep thoughts.