So any of you who know me, know that I do enjoy most sports and can be rather competitive. But unfortunately, Softball has never made my fun list, and although I'm not sure why, I am however resigned to the fact that I am better slated as a spectator in this particular sport. My stake is in the middle of their softball season. My ward has two fabulous teams. One that has a lot of heart and the other that is undefeated. Hooray for U2. (That's University 2nd ward for those of you not up on the Tempe singles lingo)
Anyways, I did play one game with the B team, and after missing 3 catches in a row and never making it to base, I decided that despite the mystery of my softball aversion when I know it's a perfectly good sport that hundreds of others enjoy, I wasn't enjoying myself and decided that there are two reasons we enjoy sports and in the lack of either, it's just no fun.
1. The joy of the game
2. The joy of winning
You see even if you normally lose, (like my volleyball team did in high school) if you enjoy the sport, it's still fun. On the flip side, even if you don't enjoy the actual sport, it's always fun to win, so if you do well, you'll still enjoy it. Of course ideally both factors will be there, but if neither is present, that's when it's time to become an energetic spectator, which I've made it my quest to do. And although the competitive streak in me tempts me from time to time to feel left out, I am resigned for the time being to a happy cheering fan. I just can't wait til the other sports are back in season!
1 comment:
Maybe that explains why I don't like most sports - I could care less about winning and I really don't enjoy them. Someone needs to be on the sidelines watching, though, so that's my role!
Post a Comment