Wednesday, October 8, 2008

YesforMarriage

So I'm sure everyone is starting to either get excited about or sick of all the election hoopla that is intensifying. Here in Arizona we have a proposition on the ballot, Prop. 102 that is trying to amend the Arizona Constitution to state that "Only a union between one man and one woman shall be valid and recognized as marriage in this state."
Similar propositions are also on the ballot's in california and florida, so you may have heard a bit about them. As a strictly moral issue not really involving any politics, the church has taken a firm stand on the issue and encouraged each ward to provide a representative on the coalition that is doing a lot of things to promote this. If anyone is interested, the website for the actual proposition is yesformarriage.com and the church's take on the whole thing can be found here: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage
Anyways, tonight I volunteered with some other singles to man the phonebank and got to call republicans on the permanent early voter list to find out if they were going to vote yes for marriage and support prop. 102. It was quite tedious as I just just made 2-3 min calls for over 2 hours, but I feel like I've fulfilled my civic and moral duty a bit tonight. So for anyone who will have the opportunity this election, vote yes for marriage!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you divulge what the consensus was in those you asked? Are we in danger of it not passing?

Anonymous said...

All but two of the people I talked to were going to vote yes, but that's not saying a whole lot since I spoke mostly to answering machines and they were all republicans, but it's all about the effort. Mostly the idea is to find out who is undecided and send them more information.

Rachel said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think it's great that you're doing that. It's like your hoisting your own little Title of Liberty - modern style. It's a crazy world we live in and it's scary sometimes. It may seem small and tedious, but it sounds like something where a little bit of effort goes a long ways.
Love ya.