Sunday, March 1, 2009

Target gives back

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I think Target is a great store. Maybe it's just that the Walmart always seems so ghetto and Target always just seems cleaner. In any case, I've been able to experience a couple of the Target gives back evengts recently and have been very impressed with them as well. On President's day Target hosted a family day at the Desert Botanical Gardens here in Phoenix which also happens to be currently displaying glass sculptures by famed artist Dale Chihuly. My friend Michelle got a group of "teacher friends and government workers" who she knew would be off for the holiday together and we all volunteered to help with the children's art stations. Pretty much we just helped kids make little crafts out of pipe cleaners and stuff, but it was quite fun. I was disappointed that I couldn't stay after my volunteer shift to actually look at all the sculptures, so I was really pleased when a friend of mine decided we ought to go this past weekend. Here are a few pictures, that of course don't really do justice to what's there. Melissa and Annalisa playing Vanna White Me and Annalisa, although it certainly caught an odd expression on my face. Also this weekend, I went with my friends Sherri and Kellie and to Target's Music in the Park, which was a free event they put on where they also had some simple crafts for kids as well as performances by a hip hop dance crew and the Phoenix Symphony. Both of which were pretty good, and we even got cool color your own hats as you can see. In any case, I'd highly recommend that any of you with kids keep your eyes and ears open for any target sponsored community events in your area as they do a very good job of putting together fun family oriented cultural activities. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a calendar of events or anything, so you might have to check with your local store to find out how and where you can find information. My friend Kellie now works at Target Corporate, so that's how I found about this last one, but best of luck to you all anyways!

1 comment:

Amy Bateman said...

Sounds like some fun events! I love Chihuly art. He did an exhibition while I was in school and I "had" to go for an art class. Some of his work is just amazing.