I've always thought that the term oxymoron was such a funny word, and it is. . . the sound of it certainly fosters a little confusion, which is exactly what an oxymoronic term should be if we really think about it. However, the interesting part is that most oxymorons do make sense to us at first impression. We've all seen a "black light" and most of us have experienced a moment of "deafening silence" where the absence of speech or noise speaks volumes. And the more we experience, the more we learn to "expect the unexpected". Although these terms contradict themselves, we often understand them or think we do even if it doesn't or shouldn't make logical sense. Thus is Life, I've decided.
I've had a number of experiences lately that while each minor in each's own importance have combined to drive home the point to me that perhaps we shouldn't put so much stock in accepting our initial assessments of otherwise confusing situations. I think at times we shortchange ourselves by allowing our logical minds to come up with a justification for someone's actions (whether others or our own). For in most cases it will produce a seemingly logical solution that whether correct or not allows us to say to ourselves, "Okay, I guess that makes sense if he/she was thinking about it that way. . . " after which the natural tendency is to promptly move on whilst filing away that often incorrect or indulgent conclusion we've just come to as information for a future time which then becomes the building blocks of other such fallacies that come when we encounter another one of life's oxymorons.
In essence, it seems to me that there's a lot more to honesty than simply telling the truth, and a part of our divine heritage that is too easily lost in the noise of the natural man's justifying shouts. And it's that part that when combined with our consistent striving to listen to and act on the whisperings of the spirit, leads the way to our becoming like Christ. A lofty goal I certainly still fall short of, but rededicate myself to everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment