I've decided that there are several necessary elements to a good salad. Now before I share them I have to say that this has come after many years of trying different types of salads and I've finally found the winning elements, without which it's just rabbit food. 1. At least three vegetables besides lettuce - I've decided its the combination of flavors that makes it good. My favorites are probably cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and avocado.
2. Protein - I like black beans or canned turkey breast best.
3. Crunchies - I'm not much for croutons, but I'm a huge fan of french fried onions or cracker crumbs. The contrasting textures and saltiness make magic.
4. The right dressing - I'm a pretty picky salad dressing person, I love ranch, although only certain brands, and can handle some of the other creamy dressings, but I'm not much of a vinagrette fan, unfortunate since those are generally lower in fat, but obviously my kind of salads aren't always the lowest fat kind.
And last but not least. . .
5. CHEESE - obviously my favorite part of any dish, but makes a huge difference for salads too. I like pepper jack or feta best depending on the other ingredients, but any type of cheese will do.
Not sure why I decided to post, that but just thought I'd share. Happy Eating rabbit people.
3 comments:
Yum! I guess I'm a rabbit food person. I love salads, too. I'd have to agree that for the most part you hit the perfect parts right on. We must be related or something.
After all those years of rabbit food, I seldom make a plain salad now. I agree with the combinations of various veggies, protein sources (I'm partial to garbanzo beans), and yes, that cheese does add something special ... and not just calories!
I totally agree with the salad, I do like really good vinagrettes. I think raspberry is the best but only if you add cranberries to the salad. I still think the best dressing though is roquefort or a good buttermilk ranch. I also like to add Kaki, the Japanese persimmon seeds to salads, or sauted pinenuts.
Post a Comment