Friday, August 27, 2010

When Dreams and Reality Collide

So I've had some strange dreams lately. It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how ridiculous or unrealistic things are in dreams, there always seems to be only one solution.
Take for example, my dream in which the light bulbs burnt out in my bathroom and while the rest of my family managed to get ready for whatever black tie event we were going to just fine in other well-lit parts of the house, I was forced to run around begging for help to change the light bulb I couldn't reach then finally after everyone refused to help, drag a dimly lit lamp into the bathroom and do my hair and makeup squinting through the near darkness all the while livid that no one would help me. Why it never occurred to me to get ready in the other parts of the house, or use a chair to change the lightbulb myself I will never know, nor do I think that my family would really so rudely refuse to help me in a real situation, although perhaps if I weren't smart enough to come up with either of the first two solutions (which apparently my subconscious was not) I would deserve to be abandoned to the above consequences.
I also think it's interesting how in dreams multiple memories combine to create a reality that would never actually be, like my dream about sneaking into my old ward's sacrament meeting which was being held in a building that was a cross between the church I grew up in and the institute building I attend in now and attending a ward that while it was a singles ward with my old bishopric presiding was awfully full of strange, creepy middle aged men.
And last but not least, it's interesting that the emotions are so real that even after you wake up and realize that it was just a dream and there's no valid reason to be upset, frustrated, or scared, it sometimes still takes a minute for those emotions to subside. Case in point: The other night I dreamt that as I was lying in bed a giant spider the size of a basketball was slinking toward me from it's web in the corner of the room. Well of course the only logical thing to do was to scream and throw my pillow at it to knock it off it's path. Which I did. . . in real life (glad my roommate's room is on the other side of the house). Funny thing is, even after I awoke, realized there wasn't really a giant spider in my bedroom, and started to feel a little silly that my dream had just made me scream out loud, it still seemed to be a good idea to leave my pillow (that was now on the floor) right where it was through the remainder of the night.

No comments: