Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jammin' at the Gym

Yesterday I took my roommate to the gym that I go to.  She's been thinking about signing up for a gym membership so I made an appointment with a customer assistance representative so that we could get her a trial pass.  We went in expecting to spend some time with the sales guy while he gave her the tour and generally tried to sell her on the facility.  After all, it is a business, so no surprises at first.  We met Tim, a very personable man who in the course of our 45 min orientation and tour told us all about the gym, his hometown (Twin Falls, ID in case you were wondering) his most recent adventures living in Alaska (where he gained a lot of weight because in his words - it was too cold to exercise) and then California where he lost all the weight so he could look good on the beach.  Of course he went extensively into the steps he took to do that, showed us all the equipment and even offered to buy us lunch.  You certainly had to hand it to the guy for doing his part to build a relationship with the customer.  We almost felt bad turning him down since we'd just eaten and were going to go workout soon.  So we finished up the tour and went to complete our workout.  After we worked out, we went back to his office to finalize the information for my roommates 2 week guest pass and somehow in the process learned that he was single and had a "mormon girl" chasing him who wouldn't go out with him but had already invited him to church "like 5 times [because] she can't date me until I'm LDS".  We'd already told him we were LDS when he'd asked how we became roommates and we said we met at church, so it was kind of funny when he said he was 35 and just wanted to have a family so he ought to just "become a Mormon and that'll take care of it".  By this point I must admit I was starting to wonder what this guy was trying to do.  Seemed like it wasn't quite as clear what he was trying to sell, but the next part is what really sealed the deal on this whole strange encounter.  He explained to us that he did believe in God and had even written Him a song (he's also in an alternative rock band).  He asked us if we'd like to hear it, then proceeded to think outloud about the fact that he couldn't sing it for us in his office, but if we'd come out to the parking lot he'd sing it for us there.  I honestly think I only agreed for two reasons:
1. I was with my roommate Courtney, so felt like we had the advantage in numbers and
2. because I couldn't believe that he would actually do it, I mean who really pulls out a guitar in the gym parking lot and sings original songs to customers he's just met? 

Well, apparently Tim does.  He pulled his guitar out of his car then sat on the hood of the vehicle and started to play.  The actual song was very well written and he does have a good voice.  He followed it up with a popular love song that while well sung was certainly noticed by the few people who happened to be coming or going from the parking lot at that moment.  We got some pretty strange looks and no wonder, here we were, two girls in sweaty gym clothes, being serenaded in the parking lot of the gym by none other than a well dressed gym employee.  I think we laughed the whole way home as we tried to process the very strange encounter we'd just had with Tim the gym sales guy.

2 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Thanks for giving us our laugh for the morning! What a great story.

Unknown said...

That is an awesome story. I also enjoyed the laugh.