Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Last Few Hours of Sunday

I love weekends.  Of course, I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't.  Well I suppose people that work all weekend, probably don't enjoy them much.  But I dare say anyone who has a weekend that means a break from school/work and a time for relaxing/playing/catching up probably tends to enjoy them.  I'm no exception and for the most part I love Sundays too.  I love going to church, having a day to focus on non-temporal things, and feeling that bit of renewal. 

I do NOT however, like the last few hours of Sunday.  There's something about knowing that the weekend is almost over and the regular week is about to begin that generally brings me a bit of dread and I usually respond to such in one of two ways. . .
      1.  (And the less frequent option chosen) I make the most of the last few hours of my day of rest by retiring early and getting some extra rest to carry me through whatever lies ahead in the coming week. 

     2.  (The most frequent option) I try to delay the inevitable coming of Monday Morning by delaying Sunday Night.  Although I know it would likely be more productive for me to go to bed early, there's the irrational part of my brain that reasons that if I don't go to bed soon, I won't have to get up soon.  It's the part of me that wants to hold onto the weekend at any cost, even that of valuable hours of sleep.  Realistically I don't usually accomplish anything worthwhile in these last Sunday hours, but there's the part of me that just doesn't want to give up and admit it's time to let Monday come until I absolutely have to.

Strange, I know, but it happens pretty much every week.  The real sad part of it is, I even like my job.  I enjoy my work, my colleagues, and find fulfillment and excitement even in parts of it.  I can't imagine what it would be like to face a Sunday Evening completely dreading what you had to get up and do the next morning, I already hate the ones I have, so I guess I do have something to be grateful for, although it still seems a bit of a raw deal that Sunday has to come to a close so quickly.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I agree, It's back to business sooner that desired most weeks.