Friday, September 9, 2011

Painting

So I couldn't sleep the other night and for some reason had the urge to paint something.  Now bear in mind I'm not a painter, never had been.  Oh I've done my share of arts and crafts through the years, and did pretty good in my drawing class in middle school, but I've never really done painting.  So tonight, I went to the craft store just to look at the paint stuff since I couldn't get it out of my head.  I wasn't sure that I intended on buying anything, but lo and behold I found this little easel on clearance along with a pad of paper that will work for acrylic or watercolor.  I have some odds and ends of acrylic paint, some old brushes and found a set of watercolors for $5, so I figured I was all set for some amateur dabbling in painting.

Well, I tried my hand at a couple of paintings using acrylics, but most of the stuff I had was dried up, and my first few tries painting whatever was in my head didn't work out so well, so I thought I would try painting something I could see and switch to the water colors, so I pulled a vase of flowers off my bedside table and here is the result:

Okay so I definitely need some work especially on the details like shadowing, highlights and outlining things, but at least I'm not embarrassed to show it to others.  After all, it may not be good, but it certainly could be worse. 

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'd say you did pretty good!

Amy Bateman said...

Ditto Rachel's comment. It looks beautiful!

courtney dalley said...

You are too modest. You have some great potential, I'm thinking! p.s., hey, remember when we were roomates????