Thursday, March 1, 2012

Glad I can sew

I finally got a sewing machine this winter. It's a simple machine but so far I'm loving it, mostly because it allows me to re-hem, take in and/or re-purpose my jeans.  You see I always have trouble with jeans.  I'm just tall enough to wear tall or long length pants, although often I end up getting the regular lengths because the tall/long ones are sometimes difficult to come by.  These generally work fine  for a few months then they seem to shrink little by little to the point where I have to let down the hems.  Much easier to do with a machine than by hand like I used to.  I also recently found a pair of jeans on clearance that were really cheap and fit great only they were the "super flare" style which certainly isn't "in-style".  Had I had less skill or inclination, these would have been a no go, but a few minutes at my sewing machine and my super flares were reduced to boot cuts and are now totally wearable.  Hooray for sewing skills! 

My fun inventive project though has been a sewing machine cover made out of an old pair of jeans that had ripped in the wrong place and were no longer wearable or fixable.  After some cutting, piecing, and sewing, voila an original, homemade, one of a kind sewing machine cover.  

2 comments:

Judy said...

What a cute cover! Glad you are using that skill you learned so long ago.

courtney dalley said...

Aww...I love the "sew" detail