Brad Paisley and LL Cool J recently released a song entitled
“Accidental Racist”. Its social issue
commentary has certainly garnered reactions from critics and fans for a number
of different reasons, but I have to say that I found it a refreshing example of
the real dialogue ideal I believe in. You can see how the artists explain their
intentions here, here and here. What is
refreshing to me in the song and in the artists’ explanations of their
intentions is the attempt not to say “I’m right” or “you’re right”, but in
essence to say “I have my reasons and they probably aren’t what you think they
are” and “I can look past what I think you are, think, like, etc. to try and
engage in a real dialogue with you about things that we likely have very
different perspectives on, and while that dialogue likely won’t drastically
change my world view or yours, perhaps the success is in leaving our judgments
behind to have the conversation”
Now I realize this action and perspective doesn’t really
solve any of our current society’s political, social or moral conflicts. Differing views about marriage, gun control,
immigration, government spending, etc. will always remain, but it seems to me
that it’s a least a step in the right direction to, as LL cool J puts it: leaving some of the baggage behind to walk up
the hill.
A while back I read an article about politics (that unfortunately
I can’t find again to cite), but one of the sentiments expressed was thus:
Should a people with a common heritage and mono-culture be
permitted the right to take actions to protect those things they hold dear, or
should people outside those closed communities be permitted the right to coerce
the mono-culture into opening their houses and yielding to multiculturalism?
Now I think we can all agree that depending on what the
issue dividing us is, we could see ourselves on both sides of that question. Values and core beliefs dear to us will
certainly shape how important or unimportant we feel it is to protect our
beliefs and/or coerce those who don’t share them with us to embrace our point
of view, and maybe that’s okay. Maybe
the real challenge upon us that we’re failing at miserably is creating a
society that allows that real dialogue and true respect for individual agency
to be had. Maybe finding that balance
between standing firm for what we know to be true and right while letting go of
our judgments is the true test of humanity.
1 comment:
Your comments remind me of the articles of faith. Especially #11 "We claim the privilege of worshipping almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where and what they may." I agree with your thoughts.
Post a Comment