Monday, July 14, 2008

The Big Day

Well, today was the big day at my office. We were advised last week to report to the office by 9 am this morning with all county issued equipment and badges. So we knew that the lay-offs we've been expecting since March were finally here. First of all I must say that I loved the people I worked with and am glad that through this whole process the whole department has maintained it's dignity, cohesiveness and a sense of humor. And that was still the general feeling this morning, although the anxiety and tension was definitely present. I though I would go crazy with the waiting as I sat in my little office waiting for someone to call or come and get me to tell me my fate. Finally about 40 min after 9. I was summoned to the conference room along with 17 or my co-workers and informed that I had been chosen to stay. First and foremost, I am definitely relieved, yet it's certainly bittersweet as 8 of my coworkers were laid-off. We were then asked to leave the building and disappear until 1 pm to give those who were laid off time to gather their things and exit the building. So we went to a 3 hour lunch and shopping trip, then reported back at 1 pm to find out the details of our new positions, which as it turns out, still haven't been finalized, so I don't know any more this afternoon than I did this morning except that I will for sure still have a job, what exactly I'll be doing remains to be seen.
I can't say that this whole process has been a pleasure in any way shape or form, and I have a feeling after our meeting this afternoon that the stress is far from over as we're basically re-inventing just about everything that we do, but it has certainly been a learning experience and for that I'm grateful.

4 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

Woo hoo! Becky is still employed! That goes to show what a great worker and all around great person you are. At least you don't have to live in limbo and wonder anymore.

Rachel said...

A pleasant surprise it sounds like. At least you can rest a little easier since none of your other prospects have worked out yet. Just think of all you've learned over the past several months. Congrats.

Audrey said...

Wow, I am so glad to hear that news about you. Definitely a tender mercy from the Lord. I was kind of hoping you would end up in spokane, but hey you know. That is just so awesome for you.

Audrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.