Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My new job

Well, I'm finally starting to learn what my new position entails. For those of you who didn't know, I used to teach tobacco quit classes to adults and teenagers, counsel clients on the quitline, and organize worksite classes with different companies. However, we haven't done any of that since May, so for that last month and a half, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing. The state of Arizona decided to do away with our whole cessation team and only fund the ASHline which is the state-wide quitline, so even though I survived the lay-offs last week, I knew I'd be doing something else.
Well this week I got my new assignment on the Prevention team, which is working with schools to implement anti-tobacco curriculum and activities. It seems overwhelming enough just to learn the nuances of working with the contracts and trainings etc. etc. but I'm also in charge of recruiting 10 High Schools to participate in a brand new youth advocacy program that I'll also need to develop. Needless to say it seems more than just a bit overwhelming after I found that out today, but it'll be a good challenge nonetheless. Once I figure out what the program will look like, maybe I'll post more details, but as for now, just wish me luck in my new responsibilities!

1 comment:

Amy Bateman said...

I'm sure you'll do great with your new responsibilities. Do they have anything in place to help you or is it all from scratch?