Saturday, September 6, 2008
First Fridays
Last night I went with some friends into downtown Phoenix for the First Fridays Art walk and festivities. For those of you who missed my last post about this a few months ago, First Firdays is an event that takes place the first friday of each month where all the downtown art galleries and museums open their doors and provide free admission. Last time we went there were also throngs of street vendors, which has lessened somewhat because apparently in the last couple of months they've started patrolling and requiring all the street vendors to have a vendor's license, so that's cut down significantly on the number, but I'm sure the legitimate vendors appreciate the increased patronage. Anyways, it's always fun to experience the vibrancy and excitement of the city culture. Last night we stumbled across a break dancing exhibition some kids were doing. It was pretty cool, some of them had some good moves. And my other favorite was a guy who was on one of the corners playing electric violin. For those of you who've never heard electric violin, it's probably one of my favorite instruments just because it has such a rich sound, especially when it's plugged in. Of course after a while he started singing too, and personally I think he should have stuck with just the instrumentals because his voice wasn't that great, but it was enjoyable all the same. A couple of friends and I decided that the next time we go we'll have to dress up. There are lots of people walking around in crazy outfits, Goth stuff, hippies, and just edgy fashion. Stuff I'd never dare wear anywhere else, but that would definitely be fun to pick up at DI where to an event like that just for fun. I'll be sure and take some pictures that day for you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment