Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What did we used to do when. . .

So I've had several different conversations lately with friends, coworkers etc. about technology and there've been some interesting thoughts surface as a result, so for your pondering pleasure, I'll share the following, judge for yourself if technology might have made things better or worse:
1. What did we used to say at the end of a conversation about a controversial subject no one really knew the answer to. Nowadays, those conversations always seem to end with someone saying something to the effect of "I'll google it and find out." But there was a time before the internet when those conversations must have just ended.
2. What did we used to do before email, blogs and facebook. Don't get me wrong, I remember those days, but I have to admit that I check all three at least once a day and probably spend more time than I should doing one of the above. I must also admit that I have four different email accounts. Of course each one serves it's own purpose, but there was a time before email and it makes one wonder, has it really made things simpler?
3. What did we used to do when we were stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire etc. before there were cell phones. We counted on some good samaritan to stop and help. And now how often do we drive by people on the side of the road and just assume that they have a cell phone and are getting help. I know I'm guilty of that one.
4. What did we used to do when we had something else to do and couldn't watch a certain TV show. Now you can rent, record, and/or watch missed episodes online. For better or for worse?
5. What did we used to do when we wished to throw thought provoking questions like these out into the world? Well now, I blog them and I must say despite the downsides of any of the above. I do feel blessed to live in the technological day and age we live in. In spite of any pitfalls, we have many more ways to connect today and I'm happy I can stay connected to all of you in some way shape or form.
I love you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something I would have had lots of fun at. sad I had to miss it. The distance between us is just a little to far.