Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween

So I realized today that it's been years since I've really dressed up for halloween. Last year I was flying to Nebraska, and it didn't make much sense to take a costume, the year before, the year before I did dress up for work, but took the easy way out and played beach barbie by donning flip flops and a sarong (my department was barbie town), and the previous two years I was in the Philippines and my only costume was the sister missionary get-up, and I honestly don't remember if I even dressed up the couple of years before that. Well, I guess it should be no surprise then that this year flopped too in the costume department. Although I guess that depends on what you technically classify as a costume. I had to work a booth at a high school tailgate party/halloween carnival/wellness fair. So I was wearing my "I am a designated non-smoking area" t-shirt that I always wear to do events like that, and I had a cowboy hat, so you could say I was a non-smoking cowgirl. Although I only wore that hat for a little while. Then I came home to meet up with my roommate to head over to a couple of parties, and she convinced me not to dress up because she didn't want to dress up, but didn't want to be the only one not dressed up. I must admit that it didn't take a whole lot of convincing on her part, because I knew my cowboy hat was kind of a stretch for a costume anyways, since I didn't have anything really to go with it. So alas, we went out a partying in regular clothes, although in the interest of saving face I did manage to make up an explanation for my "costume". You see all night long people kept sarcastically asking me about my costume, since it was obvious I wasn't wearing one, so being the creative person I am, I decided to start telling people that I was "your ego". I figured all the people who were dressed up were looking at me thinking "she's lame, she didn't even dress up" so then they felt a little better about themselves that they did, and all those who didn't dress up, looked at me and thought "see I'm not so lame, she didn't dress up either" and they felt a little better about themselves too. So it worked both ways. . . okay, okay so that's just a little creative rationalization, but they always say to make the most out of a bad situation. Nonetheless, I was a little disappointed in myself for not dressing up, and will have to remedy that next year.

3 comments:

Amy Bateman said...

For future years, you could fall back on Alex's "Shadow" idea. Wear black and voila! you're a shadow. It was a desperation costume in kindergarten about 10 minutes before he got on the bus. Every teacher I saw after school commented on how cute and creative he was. It made me laugh.

Unknown said...

I have a sweat shirt with a witch face on it. Wear with black pants and a witch hat and I'm all set. Very easy and no one cares that its just regular clothes. I really like the shadow idea.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha. Leave it to you to think up the perfect solution. No dress up this year for me either. Last year I was a full blown vampire, so I figure that does it for the next 5-10 years for me. :)