So any of you who knew me through high school will know that I seemed to have a special talent for sports injuries. You name it, I probably injured it during one sport or another. Of course two of the classics were knee and ankle injuries. Well last Monday I sort of twisted my right knee playing ultimate frisbee, and it's been a little sore all week. Nothing too painful, just enough to get sore after a full day of walking or it will flare up if I step on it wrong. Well, last night I went and played volleyball, which was great because my knee was feeling good, but lo and behold I rolled my left ankle. Again, nothing too bad, I walked it off and came back to play in about 15 min, but nonetheless it was just enough to make it swell up a bit and be awfully sore and stiff today.
Now for the ironic parts, first off, I almost had to laugh at the huge amount of concern expressed by some of my fellow volleyball attendees. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the concern and sympathy, but when someone looks at you with that "Oh no, she's hurt, how's she going to react, she seems so fragile" face, it is somewhat amusing. Granted, no one knew that this was the upteenth time I've sprained that ankle, and I knew right away that it hadn't done any lasting damage. Still, I couldn't help but contrast the worried reactions to the "Oh well, Becky rolled her ankle again, she'll be fine in a minute" reaction that would have been more commonplace among my high school sports peers.
Secondly, limping slightly on my sprained ankle today has aggravated my other knee to the point that by now I don't even limp anymore because the throbbing is equally annoying in both legs, just one in the ankle and one in the knee. I guess I should be grateful that at least they balance each other out.
Last but not least, I find it ironic that my first reaction to injuries like this is to just be annoyed. Annoyed because I've always felt that if your body is going to get itself injured, it at least ought to really be injured. At least then I'd feel justified in feeling some pain. However little injuries like this are just painful enough to be annoying, but not really bad enough to warrant any real sympathy or self-pity. It's almost like the body is just whining, not legitimately complaining because it's really injured, because it isn't, but just sort of whining about what happened to it. And I've always tried not to be a whiner, although now that I think about it, that's what this post kind of sounds like huh?! Oh-well, life goes on, and I am grateful that my body will heal itself soon enough and go back to normal.
1 comment:
The solution is so obvious, I'm surprised you don't see it -- stop playing sports. Okay, that's probably not gonna happen. At least you don't milk little injuries for lots of sympathy. Hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment