Friday, July 9, 2010

Salt River Tubing

I'm sure each city has it's own local hotspots, the places all the locals know, all the tourists hear about and generally people either love or hate. I had the opportunity to experience one of those today. Tubing the Salt River is certainly a popular summer pastime that I've heard about for years. I went today with a couple of friends and must say that although it was somewhat enjoyable I'd take floating our little rigby canal anyday. In spite of the drinking, profanity, and tobacco smoke, it was actually the current, or lack thereof that did me in. If I wanted to sit in an innertube going nowhere half the time, I'd go to a lake. There were a few sections of decent current but the lake like sections made for a pathetic excuse of a river float trip. Still, I can see why it's popular, I guess I just prefer the Idaho way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved floating the canal in Rigby too. It was a favorite pastime and was awesome. I also liked the board we tied to the bridge to "surf" on. Loved to toss my inner tube in one one side of the bridge and jump into it on the other side. Lots of great memories. Those things I will probably never do again.